Friday, January 6, 2012

ARTICLE - CONILLE - FOR CONSTITUTION

PRIME MINISTER CONILLE WANTS CONSTITUTION PUBLISHED
(Defend Haiti) -

PORT-AU-PRINCE – Prime Minister Garry Conille supports the publication of the Constitution in the nation’s official journal Le Moniteur, but says it is the President of the Republic who must choose to publish it, and he will not apply pressure.

Prime Minister Garry Conille, when asked on Thursday about his stance on the Constitution crisis that the country is currently enduring said that he believes that the people of Haiti could not wait any longer for the amendments:


”…my position, and I believe it’s been said in the public many times, ... I believe the Diaspora is tired of waiting, and they should not have to wait anymore to have the prerogatives that they merit for the contributions that they give the country every year, ... more than $1.4 billion [US] in transfers.”

”I believe the country is ready for a Permanent CEP, .... I believe the institutions of the country are ready for the empowerment that these amendments bring.”

”So for myself, in my vision, as an individual, I see the positives, but I know the person who has the responsibility to publish it and I cannot put pressure on him…”

The Prime Minister did respect the President and mentioned that it is in his hands. It is his “prerogative” to publish the Constitution of Haiti into Le Moniteur.

Prime Minister Garry Conille and one Secretary of State, out of 38 members of the executive, are the only ones to have declared their assets to the Court of Auditors as required by Haitian law.

In the interest of full disclosure, the Constitution of Haiti provides that the Prime Minister becomes President, if the President becomes incapacitated.

No comments: