Monday, January 9, 2012

ARTICLE - EMBASSY AGENT = TRAFFICKING?

HAITIAN EMBASSY AGENT REFUTES INVOLVEMENT IN ILLEGAL HAITIAN TRADE
(Turks and Caicos Sun) - By Vivian Tyson - SUN Senior Editor

Donald Metellus, the Voluntary Agent for the Embassy of the Republic of Haiti in TCI is refuting a statement made by sections of the local Haitian community linking him to the illegal migration between the two countries and victimization of children born here to Haitian nationals.

Metellus, via a statement, told The SUN that some Haitians in the TCI have been on a campaign to sully his reputation possibly because of his relationship between the TCI and Haiti governments.

According to him, on Saturday, December 30, 2011, a caller to Horizon 2000 International 106.3 FM – a Creole radio station - wrongfully accused him of being involved in illicit activities. He named one of his countrymen, Ronald Gardiner, as the main perpetrator of the rumor.

“The allegations are as quoted by him, that I have been taking money from the Haitian Government on behalf of the illegal Haitians who migrate to the Turks and Caicos Islands by boats on several occasions, to feed them; and also accused me of being dishonest and saying that I have also being paying the TCI Immigration authorities not to issue documents to Haitian children who are born in this territory,” Gardiner said.

He continued: “The allegations which I have been wrongfully accused of by Mr. Gardiner are false allegations, because I am a man of God who spends most of my time helping people who are in need, by donating money, etc to facilitate their needs.”

Metellus told The SUN that he has been assisting the TCI Immigration Department with the Haitian migrants who illegally come to the TCI, and at no time had he requested or received money from the Haitian government or from the TCI Government, stressing that most times he had to spend his own money to make the lives of detained Haitians, who arrive by boat, more comfortable.

“I have been spending thousands of dollars throughout the years in helping taking care of the illegal Haitian migrants who come here on the illegal vessels. I am not only helping people who come here on these vessels, but, I have been helping anyone who requests my assistance, such as the Haitians, Turks Islanders and other nationalities. I also give voluntary assistance to several local, non-Governmental and Governmental organizations such as the Red Cross, Disaster management, CAPAA, 911 etcetera,” Metellus revealed.

“With regards to the Immigrations Department; at no time I was engaged in paying any money to Immigration authority. The reason why I have been rendering my assistance to help and assist the people on these Islands, regardless of their nationality, is because I grew up here and I believe that this is the only way that I can make my contribution to the community of the Turks and Caicos Islands.

The accusations, which he described as, an “attack from the Devil”, will not deter him from assisting those who he is able to assist.

No comments: