Thursday, April 2, 2009

haiti update - march 30, 2009

“Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our “God is a consuming fire.” Hebrews 12:28,29

Hi! One day this week Lukner came to work in the morning excited over what had happened at an evening worship service that he attended. He explained to me what happened. It was around midnight and the worship leader was praying when he suddenly stopped and announced to the congregation that one of the members had not fully converted to God. He pointed to this individual, and told him that he had not completely given up his voodoo attachment. This individual was the person who owned the land where the people were meeting. The worship leader then said that they should all go to this person’s house to investigate. When they entered the home they found a voodoo shrine dedicated to the spirits with all kinds of objects and things to keep the spirits happy. The people took these things and dumped them onto the street and then lit a large bonfire and burned them all. This individual thought he could follow both religions. He provided a place as host for prayer services and also provided a voodoo shrine for the spirits. After everything was burned he was not rejoicing. He was crying in fear that now the spirits would get even. The congregation assured him that the devil has no power over the church and everyone went home rejoicing. Pray for this individual, that he would completely serve the Lord and not place a foot in both worlds.
Mykerson Pierre is a 5-year-old boy who has cerebral palsy. We went with him to the physiotherapy clinic that is on Tabarre and behind the Nos Petits Freres et Soeurs Childrens’ Hospital. This was our first visit there. Because of our funding problems we are not able to pay for the physiotherapy consultations at Healing Hands. At the Tabarre physiotherapy clinic it is free. All that is needed to qualify for the program is a reference letter from a doctor. This new physiotherapy clinic has only just recently opened and is a blessing for those children who need regular physiotherapy. Pray for their efforts as they work with handicapped children here in Port-au-Prince.
The hydrocephalus evaluations were held on March 27th at Hopital La Paix. New patients were evaluated and post-surgery evaluations were made on children who have already received operations. The day prior to the evaluations we picked up Guerdson Delile and his mother at the wharf where the Jeremie boat arrives. It is located near Cite Soleil. While she was boarding the boat in Jeremie I had received a phone call from Guerdson’s mother. She called to tell me that the person in charge of fares just hit her because she didn’t have enough money. They still let her travel though. She was short 100 gourdes (about $2.50US). I guess that was the price of her beating. We also picked up Calwens Sanon and his mother who had come in from Gonaives. From time to time we house out of town patients here at Coram Deo. Both Guerdson and Calwens had surgery already in November and Guerdson was examined and it was determined that he was doing well. Calwens needs to get another cat scan done. He may need another surgery. We will need to get another cat scan done before April 4th. Parents will be notified on April 3rd for those who get selected for surgery. It is a difficult decision for the neurosurgery team. Not everyone who needs surgery will be selected. Pray for the upcoming surgeries and the parents of those who have hydrocephalus children. Jonel Colo, the hydrocephalus baby who has 2 large pressure sores on the side of his head will not be able to have surgery. The doctor explained this to the mother and she then came over to the house to let me know what the doctor said. She was crying but understood and accepted the news as God’s will. We gave her a ride to her home, which is located in the Tabarre region. On Saturday morning we drove Guerdson and his mother to the wharf to board a boat back to Jeremie. We gave her money to pay for the ticket. This time she paid full price and won’t have to put up with a beating!
We received a response from the USNS Comfort Hospital ship that will be arriving in April. We sent in 14 applications for adults and children, with orthopedic, gynecology, plastic surgery, eye, and general surgery needs. I was hoping that we would get a couple selected by the team to be seen. Instead, all of them got selected. This is a real blessing! Now the challenge will be to get all their medical records together and get them all there for their appointment on April 10th at the Killick Coast Guard Station! Pray for the plans being made to bring this hospital ship to Haiti.
This week we also had a couple of new medical cases come to the house. Rebecca Beaubrun is a 15-month-old girl who was born with clubbed feet and we added her name to our new medical list. There is never a shortage of medical problems here in Haiti.
I was walking through the neighborhood and met up with Mackenson of the Judas Gang. He asked me for some medicine for a bad headache. He told me that he got hit by a rock after trying to break up a fight between a guy and his girlfriend. He said that he felt fortunate because the braids in his hair acted as a cushion to absorb some of the impact from the rock. We went back to the house and I gave him the Tylenol and he thanked me for it. I didn’t believe his story though. Later I told Lukner what happened and he laughed. A few days earlier there were a couple of guys trying to break into a house in the Delmas 31 neighborhood. The caretakers of the property spotted them and the 2 thieves jumped over the wall. One of these thieves landed on his shoulder and head and the caretakers were amazed that this thief got up and ran away. Hopefully the blow to his head knocked some sense into Mackenson. Pray for Mackenson, that he gives up the thieving life.
Kimosabee the pick-up truck got rear-ended for what I think is the 13th time this week. The defense bar is drooping a little bit and will now need to be adjusted. I was stopped near the Bon Repos bridge when a car ran into the back. We got out of the truck and asked the man driving the vehicle why he ran into us. He said that he didn’t see us. Now I am going to have to paint a different color or something on the back of the truck so that people stop running into the back of it. I am going to ask the next team that comes to Haiti to paint black and white stripes on the back so that the truck is more visible.
That’s all the news for today. Have a good week!
Karen Bultje, Coram Deo

No comments: