Monday, January 16, 2012

ARTICLE - MICHAELLE JEAN - GOV'T TRUST

MICHAELLE JEAN SAYS MARTELLY GOV'T CAN BE TRUSTED BUT REMAINS VIGILANT
(Defend Haiti) -

PORT-AU-PRINCE – In an interview, the former Governor-General of Canada, Michaëlle Jean, said that she considers the Martelly government as one that can be trusted, but stressed that she remains “constantly vigilant.”

In an interview with Daniel Schwartz of CBC News, the United Nations (UNESCO) special envoy to Haiti was in Haiti for a few days to commemorate the earthquake.

Jean said that she believes things are starting to change for the better, but warned that ”you cannot build a sustainable economy on charity.” In the interview she spoke of good governance as a problem but expressed hope in the government that is in place.

”We consider this a government that can be trusted. It's really important to be coherent and to make sure that it will succeed and will be able to use all its authority to fix the situation in Haiti.”

The interviewer said... “It's interesting to hear how positive you sound about the Martelly government. I would have thought that with Martelly's past as a supporter of military dictatorships in Haiti, that you would be a little more cautious about the government, if that's the right word. How is he doing in your view, has it been a surprise?”

Jean responded:

”Don't get me wrong. I am constantly vigilant. I am constantly vigilant with every party here in Haiti.”

”If change is to happen in Haiti it must be from all parts and all parties involved: on the government of Haiti's side, on the Haitian side, on the international community side.”

”Vigilance is very important in this country. I understand clearly what you are saying. And of course I can see in that government, people who come from that front, too. I can see that. It's part of the history of Haiti.”

”I can see people from the private sector who only thought of profit for their own selves and for their clan. This is part of the political environment in Haiti. I am vigilant, but at the same time what I am seeing is a government that is coming onboard.”

”And it's not just the president. The president is a man who says he doesn't have any political experience, but he has good will for his country. He loves his country. He wants to leave a legacy that is a very meaningful one for this country, and he's really addressing the right issues, in terms of making education a priority; also building a sustainable economy for his country.”

”There is also Prime Minister [Garry] Conille. He is a man of experience. He is a man of knowledge. He is very pragmatic. He wants to deliver. It is the first time you hear this word in Haiti among the decision makers: results. 'We want results.'”

”They are coming with a different approach, which is more entrepreneurial, that's for sure. But it's probably the best strategy right now to rebuild the economy of this country that has been paralyzed by total dependency on international aid.”

”Je suis très prudente! I am very cautious!”

”There's one thing that I know very well. There are things that I can say here that nobody else can say. And the government of Haiti, all the authorities in place, I work closely with them.”

”Know that, when they deserve to be praised, I will praise them. I will validate their good actions, and when time comes also for me to say, 'Hey! You are going in the wrong direction, this is wrong!' I will also say it clear and loud. They know that.”

”In the declaration that I made yesterday, I am very clear about the extensive negligence that is murderous. This is what killed people here during the earthquake. If you carefully read my words I am very, very direct, and straight forward, and people know me for that.”

”I feel very blessed that people here respect me for that. The same with the international community.”

”I will always speak for what's right, and I will also raise the wrongs, that's for sure. And that's the only way for me to go, I cannot work differently.”

No comments: