Tuesday, January 3, 2012

ARTICLE - PROS. RESIGNED NOT REVOKED

FORMER GOV'T PROSECUTOR SAYS HE RESIGNED AND WAS NOT REVOKED
(Defend Haiti) -

PORT-AU-PRINCE - The former Government Commissioner, Lionel Constant Bourgoin, says he gave the Minister of Justice a verbal resignation the night before he sent a written letter of resignation dated Saturday, December 31st. Bourgoin says the justice minister's press note, released Sunday January 1st, claiming he was removed from his post is not true.

News broke on Saturday that the Government Commissioner had resigned citing his principles. The matter was concerning an order of arrest for members of the Provisional Electoral Council, which was not supported by a warrant for arrest. In his resignation letter dated December 31st, Bourgoin wrote:

Because of my deep convictions, and fully aware of the extent of my mission, I can not be the armed wing of any authoritarian power of an eager inspiration to establish its order.

In the early hours of Monday January 2nd, the Haitian press received a communication from the Ministry of Justice saying that the Government Commissioner, Bourgoin, was "removed from office for adopting incorrect and inappropriate behavior in the case," of the Provisional Electoral Council.

On Wednesday, morning Lionel Bourgoin spoke on Radio Vision 2000 with Marie Lucie Bonhomme, where he was asked about how the New Year is beginning for him:

"...I started [the year] good. I am a fighting man, a man of convictions a loyal man and I love the truth. I started this year well. I have more conviction to continue to fight for justice in Haiti, and I know that I have a lot of support, and people who have a high esteem for me."

"You see that I am not hiding. Everybody can call me and find me. I'm not running away, and that is because I know that I acted well from my formation and my instruction."

Bourgoin was asked by Anchorwoman Bonhomme if he resigned or if he was revoked from the position,... to which he answered:

"I resigned, and you can find the letter with the receptionist at the Ministry of Justice dated Saturday December 31st."

"Since 2:00 AM that morning in a conversation with the minister,... he had called me, and I told him that'if this is how you want things, well then I will resign.' And he accepted that I would bring my resignation to him."

"I went to the Court of Instruction to formalize the letter that I had written when I was at home, and I went to give it to the secretary at his office."

"...and he acts as if the letter hadn't arrived and reached him already, and he prefers to say he revoked me instead."

"I was surprised to hear a different song yesterday, that said that there was a note from the Minister of Justice that came out that would have people believe that they revoked me. I said that 'this I can not let be...'"

Bourgoin was asked by Bonhomme if in his conversation with the Minister of Justice, did he ever say he would revoke Bourgoin for having a bad disposition. Bourgoin answered:

"Never..."

No comments: