Saturday, March 10, 2012

ARTICLE - SEN. BENOIT APOLOGIZES

SENATOR STEVEN BENOIT APOLOGIZES TO THE PEOPLE
(Haiti Libre) -

Regarding the statements of Thursday, March 8, 2012, of Senator Lambert, hours before the press conference of President Martelly; suggesting that important revelations were being made​​, which could cause unrest in the country,... even speaking of a "Kouri", .... followed by statements of Senator Steven Benoît launching an appeal to the population to be cautious and to remain at home, .... have been the source of confusion, anxiety, disorder and even of a certain panic, in some locations within the capital, who quickly deserted the streets of the capital...

The only disorder observed having resulted from these alarmist statements, Senator Benoît believed necessary, yesterday Friday, to explain to the media and to apologize to the people. " Senator [Joseph Lambert] stated that there would be a kouri. I, as a responsible citizen, know that when we say that there will be a kouri, this means that everyone will run and that small merchants and public transport drivers are always the victims. Individuals take the opportunity to steal from them. So, while the Senator said that there would be a kouri, while Parliament was vacated, [...] I thought that I could not go home, and leave the people on the street [...] As a responsible citizen, I said to the people that I did not know what would be said [by the President], and that there could be trouble [...] So, I told them that they had one hour, .... one hour and quarter, to pick up quietly their things and to return home,... so that when there were demonstrations in the street, people do not take advantage of robbing them [...] I thought that I had done well, but unfortunately I'm probably wrong. There are people who tell me that I did well, and many others that I shouldn't have spoken [...] I spoke because in my heart I thought I was doing a good thing; .... so apparently there are people who were injured following my statement... From the heart, before all the cameras, before all the radios, I apologize publicly to the people. It's not show business that I have tried to do. I thought to help in case of a "slippage" after the President's statement [...] if a person had lost goods, a telephone, a suitcase, a business, or a car window was broken. From my heart, I apologize to the people, and I promise them that this will not happen again. Next time I will close my mouth..."

No comments: