Monday, January 2, 2012

ARTICLE - MARTELLY SPEECH - INDEPENDENCE

SPEECH OF MARTELLY FOR THE 208TH ANNIVERSARY OF HAITI'S INDEPENDENCE
(Haiti Libre) -

At the Place d'Armes in Gonaives, President Michel Martelly delivered before a large audience on the occasion of the 208th anniversary of Haiti's independence, a speech to the Nation.

Speech:

"...the year end 2011 will be for us a turning point. To those who have been disappointed, ..... to those who suffer, it is to you first that I make ​​my wishes, A Good and Better Year 2012. To all my fellow citizens from here and elsewhere, all my young men, all my valiant women, I wish you a Happy New Year; as well as all those away from their home, who chose to come here, to bring us the change, I tell you Happy New Year. To all of the apparatus of the state who share with me the responsibility and duty to ensure that all those who need it feel protected by the state, I renew my best wishes, to all, Happy New Year and Happy Feast.

Happy Feast, because all of us Haitians, we commemorate the anniversary of the proclamation of independence of our country. On January 1, 1804 after the victory, the nation was free, independent, the war was won. Since 208 years the canons are silent, but other wars are to be won, other battles to fight, other objectives to be achieved. I am fully aware and I am responsible to infuse this movement, this vision of a modern state, respectful of the institutions devoted to collective welfare, strict in its management of common good, open to cooperation.

Around our 4 E's, our compass, the government will continue to work to change things. YES it is necessary that things change, so that today, I am very happy, in the city of Gonaïves to be standing next to Dessalines to continue the battle, so that Haiti changes.

Yes, the canons are silent, but the battle continues. Together, we must all put out a hand. As I promised, the Commission for the army that the government has established, gave me its report, and it also recommended a new army for the country of Haiti. An army that each time there is a natural disaster, will provide the help that we expect, an army that will work to safeguard the territorial integrity on an island where the threats to national security are numerous, threats such as drug trafficking and terrorism.

We will submit this report to all three branches of government. The three powers, together with civil society and the business sector will look into it, in order to make good decisions. The police reform and the creation of the new army are two things that need to walk together and, we ask all friends of Haiti to help us do these things well.

But 2012 will also bring other changes. Te upcoming elections will involve every section, municipality, and department to allow people to have good representatives who will defend their interests, achieve decentralization...., that the whole country is waiting for,.... That's how democracy will be established and institutions will be strengthened. Only in this way, .... there are no other routes for the reconstruction to be done,... for the development of the country comes, through job creation, new businesses, and development of agriculture.

These are the new challenges and struggles, the struggle for education, and the environment that all of us Haitians, .... not just myself, .... that all of us must take on today. I count on you. I count on you, my people, so that together, we stand up, so that Haiti will be more beautiful. This country is too rich to be poor. God bless you."

No comments: