Saturday, January 14, 2012

ARTICLE - MARTELLY - CONSTITUTION DELAY

STATEMENT OF PRESIDENT MARTELLY ON THE DELAY OF PUBLICATION OF THE AMENDED CONSTITUTION
(Haiti Libre) -

During his press conference at the Diplomatic Room of Toussaint Louverture International Airport, Friday, January 13, before leaving for Guatemala, President Martelly explained his position on the non-publication, so far, of the text of the amended Constitution.

"...you always want to find a way to blame me, or to put the President against a wall and to accuse him [...] before talking about the question of the amendment, because they [members of Parliament] want to make believe that it's me who caused the crisis... Have you ever asked the question of who has defrauded the amendment? How the amendment which was voted on came into my hands, and that version was false? [...] It has an origin, and it comes from somewhere [...]

In Parliament, there are some who agree on the amendment, and others do not [...] When I came to power if there had been no fraud, the amendment would have been in force. I have no problem of publishing the amendment. Unfortunately, I have some experts [GĂ©rard Gourgue and Georges Michel] who advise me not to publish it [...] We have Mrs. Manigat who is not an ally, although my heart is open, [...] that I have met and who does not seem to be a person interested in working with us [...] who said to not publish it...

So now, what will the President do? This is not a simple matter. To engage the country in one direction, is a decision without turning back. It is necessary to pay attention, because in the past, there was a willingness to impeach the government... I think now that with a new team in power at the parliamentary level, that things will change. So when I will address the question of publishing something, which normally, compared to the time allocated, became illegal, [...] I can only do it on the basis of a political compromise; [...] but if I make a compromise on an illegal basis, and they want to impeach me... I open a door [...] It would be too easy.

As President, as a thoughtful person who manages not to please, but to listen to the arguments of each party, ... the most arguments as possible, .... as many people as possible, .... and after after this has ended I will decide. It will be a decision based on the assessment that I have made, and once I have taken it, it will be with all the consequences that it implies.

But for now, I do not let those who have their own ideas, views or arguments, make me do anything, .... we are forced to wait... Today, one wonders who is behind the crisis, ..... that is what is important. This is not how we manage a crisis [...]"

No comments: